Rua da Escola Politécnica, 581250-102 Lisboa
The Lisbon Botanical Garden closed its doors in 2016 to undergo extensive refurbishment works. Reopened to the public on April 7, 2018, this space spans four hectares between Avenida da Liberdade and PrÃncipe Real, and it is part of the Natural History and Science Museum of the University of Lisbon.
Opened in 1878 to support the teaching of botany at the Polytechnic School, it plays a crucial role in protecting biodiversity by preserving living specimens of species that may already be endangered. Such is the case of the so-called Emperor Tree (Chrysophyllum Imperiale), which is endangered in nature.
It has a remarkable diversity of palm trees from all continents, but the cycads are the Garden's main attraction. As true living fossils, they represent ancient, mostly extinct, flora. They are all extremely rare, and some species are only preserved in botanical gardens. The Garden is particularly rich in tropical species from New Zealand, Australia, China, Japan and South America, attesting to the amenity of Lisbon's climate and the peculiarities of the micro-climates created here.
The Garden, which has always been used as a leisure space, retains the original layout but now features refurbished paths, new drinking fountains, and free Internet. Another new feature is the small amphitheater.